Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Major Date Fail

One of my favorite things to do is people watch. And even better, people listen. For the most part, I don't consider myself a nosey person, but sometimes I love sitting in a coffee shop and trying to figure out what's going on with the people sitting behind me, what their stories are, what the relationship is, etc. I figure for the most part it's harmless seeing as they're always people I don't know and if at any point I feel like I'm listening to something I really shouldn't be I turn on my music so I can't hear them.

Yesterday was a classic example of why I love such activity and had it been a Monday, I may have had to just jump in on this one for the sake of a Monday's Fabulous Moment. Em and I were at the Spider House, a fun new coffee shop we dropped by and there were two people behind us, clearly on a date and very possibly a first one. My initial thought was that the dude was talking way too much, but whatevs, the girl seemed to be hanging in there with him and maybe he was just nervous. When the time rolled around for her to do the how-quick-can-I-tell-my-life-story thing she said, "Yeah, when I was younger I was really into theatre."

To which Mr. Nervous responds, "Oh, so you were like, awkward and ostracized." Real funny kiddo. Still gonna be laughin' when she never returns one of your phone calls? But fear not. He seemed to have redeemed himself throughout the conversation. They talked for a really long time and both left smiling and happy. Hmm...I guess she didn't take the theatre comment as personally as I did...

2 comments:

Leah said...

you don't have to be into theatre to be awkward. i am full proof of that.

THE BROWN BOYS said...

um...I'm still waiting for yesterday's fabulous moment...