Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Lessons in Student Ministry: Moments that make my heart smile

Well today it's snowing in Austin, Texas which elicits a reaction from people similar to if they saw a pig flying through the sky or Elvis walking downtown. It's a strange phenomenon for a girl from the Midwest, and in the two years I've been here it hasn't gotten any less strange.

People stop functioning. They lose their minds. Things shut down. No one wants to come to work because it's "cold." Everyone wants to stay off the roads. Today I was nearly one of those people because I've learned something really important in my time here...no one knows how to drive in this stuff either. I fear for my life not because the roads are slick and my car weighs as much as an empty soda can, but because these people go crazy and I don't trust them to know what to do if they fishtail.

So, my desire to go to the middle school to have lunch today was in question as I watched big, fluffy flakes come down fast 30 minutes before the lunch bell would ring. But, resolving to refuse to become one of "those" people, I headed out, no coat and no gloves...just to make a point. (Hopefully that point won't be that freezing temperatures will in fact give you pneumonia despite what part of the country you grew up in.)

If I thought the community in general goes crazy, it's nothing compared to a building full of little people still struggling to find the balance between wanting to be adults and discovering that their hearts still race at the sight of minor snowfall which could mean going home early. And in fact, I discovered many students had already left. Their parents had come to get them from school simply because it was snowing. Let me be clear that I by no means judge or have any thoughts on kids leaving school because it's snowing. But I'm perplexed. In 25 years I've never heard of such a thing.

Of course all my girls said, "JEN! It's snowing!" Yes...yes it is. "Isn't that exciting! Jen we NEVER get to see snow." I assured them that I would be happy to freeze a bag of cotton balls and litter their yard with it and they looked at me like I was insane. We all moved onto conversation about which kids had called their parents and who thought they might get to leave and whose requests had already been turned down.

Luckily for me the conversation shifted and ended up in places like this:

Claudia: Jen! Guess what! I'm going to Canada this summer!
Me: Why are you going to Canada?
Claudia: Hello! Why wouldn't you go to Canada?! I mean c'mon. It's like a cheap version of France.

Me: Brady when is Ben going to Barcelona?
Hannah: Ben is going to Barcelona?!
Brady: Yeah, for a big swim meet.
Hannah: What!? Does he have to shave his whole body?
Me: Wouldn't that be crazy to have to shave your entire body? Especially if you're a guy.
Claudia: My uncle is REALLY hairy.
*Blank stares*
Me: Is that the end of your story?
Claudia: Yes.

Early on in the lunch period the snow had died down to a sleet/rain mixture, the kind you can hear on the roof but can't really see if you're looking out the window. Sure enough though, just minutes before the bell rang to dismiss, the big, fluffy snowflakes came back...and the fire alarm went off.

Chaos ensued.

It was fairly clear that the fire alarm wasn't anything to really worry about, seemed just a simple mistake or possible prank and I think the kids picked up on that. But despite the fact that kids are to remain seated unless they're getting food, about 25% of them ran to the huge windows. Another 30% started cheering and yelling. About 25% seemed unaffected...and the remaining few looked around with that twinkle in their eye that shows they recognize that chaos is happening and they could get away with a lot before it dies down.

As I watched the adults in the room unsuccessfully attempt to get control of the situation, I couldn't help but smile.

In mere seconds, those kids had completely taken over that cafeteria, going where they wanted to go, making the noise they wanted to make, doing what they wanted to do and there was little any adult could do to actually stop it.

I couldn't help but wonder, if they realized the kind of power they have, and if they had a common desire to use it for good, what could these kids really do in this world. That power, that energy, that creativity and spark...just have to wonder.

The fire alarm stopped and the kids got tired of standing at the window. The noise died down and they started to get back to their seats. All in all the situation lasted about 60 seconds.

But I really had to wonder...

1 comment:

Laurel said...

That's a great question!... There are days as a teacher that I just wish students could figure out their power-- and use it towards GOOD. Of course, there are many days that I also pray they never fully figure out their power because I know of the chaos and problems it could create if they chose to do bad things... Great questions to be thinking about though, Jen! I'm glad you survived the Texas "blizzard" without a coat! :) Luckily our accumulated 25 inches is melting a bit here in Ohio (although we're getting a couple inches more the next 2-3 days)!