Friday, October 29, 2010

A Moment

Brought to you by: these things don't happen to normal people

Yesterday I was covering the front desk at work. The phone rang. I answered it.

Me: Thank you for calling the Carver. This is Jennifer.
Dude: Hi, uh, do y'all sell carved pumpkins?
Me: I'm sorry what?
Dude: Do y'all sell carved pumpkins or have any that like, uh, I could pick up.
Me: Sir this is a museum.
Dude: Yeah. Okay but like you don't have any pumpkins?
Me: No, sir. We don't.
Dude: Well didn't y'all have like a pumpkin carving thing or something?
Me: Yes sir. Last weekend we had a one day pumpkin carving event.
Dude: So can I come get one of the pumpkins?
Me: We don't have them here any longer. The people who carve the pumpkins get to take them home.
Dude: Oh. All of them?
Me: Yes sir.
Dude: You don't have any that were leftover?
Me: No sir and if we had we would have disposed of them that day.
Dude: Oh. So like if I come up there is there someone that would carve it for me?
Me: No sir. I'm sorry.
Dude: So like, do you know where I could buy something like that?
Me: Buy...a carved pumpkin?
Dude: Yeah.
Me: No sir I'm afraid you are going to be hard pressed to find someone that sells pre-carved pumpkins. They rot relatively quickly after you carve them.

::at this point I start wondering if I'm being punk'd::

Dude: Well I just need a carved pumpkin because I have to take one to work tomorrow.
Me: Well, I know that HEB sells pumpkins. You can get one there and carve it.
Dude: I don't have time for that!
Me: Well, I suppose I won't be of much help then. The only other thing I can think of is to find a friend who has already carved one and jack it from his front porch.
Dude: Oh. Okay. Well, bye.

3 comments:

Piland Family said...

That's hilarious and kind of pathetic on his part. Made me laugh. I love the new look!!!

Laurel said...

You didn't offer to carve one for him for a fee? ;) Don't you wonder whose porch he's going to steal one from now? Crack me up!!

Jen said...

HAHAHA...I totally should have done that Laurel. This brother was out there.