Monday, September 22, 2008

Monday's Fabulous Moment of the Day:

Okay so kind of like how Emily has "Flashback Friday," I've decided that especially on Mondays it is important that we seek out fabulousness and so begins my new series "Monday's Fabulous Moment of the Day." Truth be told, it was the moment that found me and I just needed to find a reason to blog about it.

Let me start by saying that for a brown headed, green eyed, pasty white girl, people ask me about my heritage quite frequently. People have wondered if I'm Asian, Mexican, Italian and who knows what else. My first assumption is always that it's because my hair is so dark, but without fail, people always tell me that it's because of my eyes. I don't know why...maybe because they get really squinty when I smile too big. I truly have no idea.

But, being questioned about where the heck my people come from is not new to me and rarely am I surprised by the conversations.

It should also be stated for the record, if any of you don't know this, that I am the only white person at my workplace and I LOVE it. We have so much fun and anyone who knows me knows how much I love bustin' out my white girl ghetto, frequently to the dismay of my very gracious co-workers.

Okay, now that we have all that out of the way I shall relay Monday's Fabulous Moment of the Day:

Monday morning conversation between my boss and me:

Her: "So you met my mom this weekend while she was here!"
Me: "Yeah, she's really nice!"
Her: "GIRL...let me just tell you what she said about you."
Me: "Um..."
Her: "No, it's not bad or anything. She told me you were super sweet!"
Me: "Oh well that's good to know."
Her: "And then she asked me if you were totally white and I said 'Mama you saw her skin, you know she's white.' And then she said, 'Are you sure? Cuz it looks like maybe she has a tint.'"

...awkward pause while I stare at her wondering if this is a joke...

And then we roll on the floor laughing.

1 comment:

emily said...

Seriously...I get that too! Gere is a conversation I have had numerous times:
Some guy: Where are you from?
Me: Iowa.
Some guy: No...I mean..where are you originally from?
Me: Iowa.

Hilarious!!! I may have to incorporate Monday's Fabulous Moment of the Day in my blog too! hmmm...I don't know if it's happened yet though...still waiting for fabulous.