Tuesday, October 7, 2008

How I Missed Monday's Fabulous Moment of the Day...

Yesterday I was off work which as much as my heart needed it, was a bit concerning because I couldn't quite be guranteed of a fabulous moment. But I trusted in God's provision and went about my day, making sure to keep my eyes wide open.

It was late afternoon and I was a getting a little nervous as I do any time it looks like my day may come to an end without anything out of the ordinary happening. I was hanging at my favorite coffee shop when I saw it...my perfect set-up for my fabulous moment. Some of the guys who lead worship at our church were sitting at a table a few feet from me. It was a perfect lay-up from God, beautifully packaged. As I told my friend Emily when "Monday's Fabulous Moment of the Day" started, there is one rule:

"rule #1...if a fabulous moment doesn't come, force it. any randomness on your part which causes awkwardness for someone else ALWAYS brings about a fabulous moment."

I sat contemplating my next move. Just how awkward was I willing to be today? I mean, I could just go up and tell them how much I LOVE their music, how blessed I am by it every Sunday. More than likely, that would lead to some massive random rambling on my part which would definitely cause some awkwardness on their part. But, sometimes even my ability to ramble fails me. Should I do something more drastic? Worst case scenario, I could totally go up and be like, "Hey, I used to be in show choir. Wanna hear me sing?" And then bust out some All That Jazz. That would definitely create all kinds of awkwardness, but I had a feeling I wouldn't actually be able to do it without laughing. Not to mention, those are the kinds of moments you save for when you have friends around to witness it.

As I'm thinking through it Em texts me about something completely unrelated so of course I told her that I had the perfect set-up here for MFMOTD. What I failed to realize while I was completely engrossed in my phone, texting furiously, seeking the necessary encouragement needed when getting ready to make a fool of yourself and cursing the fact that there's not an ornery looking smiley face in my text message smiley bank, the guys managed to pack up all their stuff and leave. I looked up just in time to see the door closing behind them.

DANG IT.

Next message to Emily... "Curses!...mission aborted...they just left."

And then followed Monday's Surrogate Fabulous Moment of the Day, Emily's response...

"Follow them...I repeat...follow them." AHAHAHA.

Most unfortunately, I didn't get that message until hours later when my phone decided to let it through. (My phone has been a total diva the past few days by the way. But that's a story for another day.)

And so it was that God provided me with the perfect opportunity for Monday's Fab Moment and I missed it. I've been told that delayed obedience is disobedience and now I know it's true. But I was reminded of God's grace and forgiveness in Emily's response. So, I'll pick myself up, dust myself off and next Monday, I will be prepared to courageously take on every moment I'm given.

2 comments:

emily said...

YES! I'm sad to say that I don't think I had a MFMOTD. I thought about it several times throughout the day...and my head hurt too bad to force it. that's sad. I DO need to update my blog though. It's been WAY too long! :) I love you Jen!

kathrynsweeney said...

HAHAHAHAHAA! I love it! The messages between you and Em are so hilarious. LOVE IT.