Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Thanks to Charlotte

I'm a registered Texan voter. Got in by the skin of my teeth.

Yes, I registered to vote in Texas at Blockbuster at 10:30 last night, exactly an hour and a half before the deadline. Let me throw in this disclaimer that this is not my first time registering to vote. I was previously registered in Ohio and Missouri where, I'll be real honest here, I felt that my vote was worth a little more.

Politics interest me, there's no doubt about it. And I definitely know who I'm going to be voting for. But I just don't have the passion for it that I used to. And I definitely don't have the passion for it that many of my favorite people have.

This would explain why last night at 7:30 when Charlotte and I were driving over to Sweeney's and she said, "You have registered to vote in Texas right?" I very casually said, "No." I thought she was going to wreck the car. I do believe her response was something along the lines of, "Jennifer Lynne!" Maybe it wasn't that exactly, but it sounded eerily similar to how my mom would have responded.

So, we went to Kate's and on our way back to the apartment she pulled into the Blockbuster parking lot, said, "Go get registered...don't forget to take your driver's license..."

Again, strangely similar. I had to bring the form back to her so she could fill out my current mailing address because I don't know what it is. As we left, I was thinking how proud my mom was going to be so I texted her to let her know I was now registered.

First thing this morning I receive an email that says, "Why did you wait so late to register? At least you did. If I ever find out you haven't voted I'll turn you over my knee. No you're not too big or too old." Well, not quite the response I was looking for, but okay we'll go with it.

I then called her to see how her day was going and the conversation played out as follows:

Mom: "What address did you put on your form?"
Me: "Well, I put Uhland as my permanent address because it's on my license and I put Char's address as my mailing address."
Mom: "What!? Jennifer those are the kinds of things that are going to cause your vote to not get counted."
Me: "Excuse me?"
Mom: "When you do things like that they'll find an excuse to not count you as a valid voter."
Me: "Mom, even if that's true, the whole state of Texas isn't going to turn blue on voting day because they don't count my vote."

...pause for deliberation and exacerbated sigh...

Mom: "If this conversation shows up somewhere on your facebook or something you're going to be in big trouble."
Me: "Okay mom."

6 comments:

CharCof said...

I guess I am in good company - being written about in the same entry as "SueDub". I don't think Miss Priss every imagined that we'd gang up on her...

Oh well...she's registered..."homeless", but registered and her vote will count no matter what color the state is.

And just so you know...I didn't almost wreck the car...but I did ask her three times if she wanted to stop and then just stopped on my own...

Jen said...

i don't think i like this "miss priss" business...

SueDub said...

Charlotte, I have no idea who Miss Priss is but apparently my Jen has become her. I was relieved to know you kept her in line and made her register until I saw her afternoon post. No child of mine would be advertising NBC in any way shape or form. The fact that you had to ask her three times if she wanted to stop is more than I can deal with. I talked to her quite a while back about getting registered. I made the poor assumption she had taken care of it. Apparently my parenting skills are not up to par. I'm so ashamed.

SueDub said...

Your friends in Texas will understand I'm not entirely serious won't they?

CharCof said...

No worries, SueDub...we got is all under control down here! Your daughter is doing just fine and you should be quite proud!

Yes, she has turned into Miss Priss...which is a term of endearment for those of us from the South. You don't need to worry about my "nicknames" until I begin or end a sentence with "Bless her heart".

SueDub said...

Oh Charlotte, bless you for taking care of my child. And for making me smile!