Thursday, January 28, 2010

Henri Nouwen of the Day

Not a day goes by that I don't want to post the little gem that I receive in my inbox. Most days, I resist temptation, but some days, I feel a little shove that says that other people will want to read it too. So, for all my Nouwen lovers out there...

Forgiving in the Name of God

"We are all wounded people. Who wounds us? Often those whom we love and those who love us. When we feel rejected, abandoned, abused, manipulated, or violated, it is mostly by people very close to us: our parents, our friends, our spouses, our lovers, our children, our neighbors, our teachers, our pastors. Those who love us wound us too. That's the tragedy of our lives. This is what makes forgiveness from the heart so difficult. It is precisely our hearts that are wounded. We cry out, "You, who I expected to be there for me, you have abandoned me. How can I ever forgive you for that?"

Forgiveness often seems impossible, but nothing is impossible for God. The God who lives within us will give us the grace to go beyond our wounded selves and say, "In the Name of God you are forgiven." Let's pray for that grace."

2 comments:

Leona said...

I'll admit my ignorance and ask, who's Henri Nouwen?

Mrs. Cunningham said...

I love this piece. I hope you don't mind. I copy and paste it on my page. You are a good writer. More power to you.