Monday, August 25, 2008

"Miss Sister"...oh this is too good.

I have a minor fascination (obsession) with nuns. What began as a simple respect for what they do and how they live has become a self-defining joke, but one that I claim nonetheless. If you're going to have a fascination with nuns, you gotta own it.
I think it started right before I moved to Switzerland for school and was told I would be living either in an apartment or a fully functioning convent. I begged my study abroad advisor to put me in the convent. 10 minutes after convincing him that I was serious, he told me that because the demand for living there was so low, it shouldn't be a problem. When I arrived in Geneva, Switzerland all starry-eyed and hauling two 50 pound suitcases, I was led by a beautiful, older Irish woman to my new home...an apartment...in the Red Light District. I thought there must be some confusion. How do you request nuns as neighbors and get prostitutes? But alas, there was no mistake, just God and His infinite sense of humor that never ceases to amaze. A short trip to Rome though and a couple hours in the Vatican and I was good to go.

I was always amazed by nuns and the thought that they have got to be incredibly strong, amazing women full of courage and grace. I started vocalizing this a few years back. A whole lot of laughter and a few weird looks later, I've become the "nun girl" and have been showered with amazing gifts like, "Nunzilla" and a "Nunchuck," a slightly sacrilegious yet fabulous little plastic catapault complete with little plastic nuns that you can chuck across the room. It's just one of those quirky things about me that people for the most part have seemingly come to appreciate.
All of that being said, this absolutely made my day.

1 comment:

Leona said...

Somehow, I'm just visualizing you using that Nunchuck to see how far you can shoot those plastic nuns across the room.

The Lord does have a quirky sense of humor, but you gotta love it.