Thursday, August 21, 2008

Prayers and Pogo Sticks

or "poto sticks" if you were one of the two people lucky enough to witness that moment of stupidity...

C.S. Lewis has a brilliant view of our time on earth and how it relates to what awaits us in heaven...

"...If I find in myself a desire which no explanation in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. If none of my earthly pleasures satisfy it, that does not prove that the universe is a fraud. Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it, but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing. If that is so, I must take care, on the one hand, never to despise, or be unthankful for, these earthly blessings, and on the other, never to mistake them for the something else of which they are only a kind of copy, or echo, or mirage."

There are moments and experiences that I go through that remind me of this and it's usually because they are so important and so magical that they make me think, "this is just a suggestion of the real thing." And just the thought that what I'm experiencing at the time is just a fraction of the majesty to come leaves me utterly speechless.

Last night was one of those times and I pray that it's etched onto my heart so deep that I never forget it. A few of the amazing people I know gathered for a time of prayer and worship, led beautifully by this fabulous lady. Six (seven for a short time :) ) of us spent some amazing time gathered together, resting with God. We raised our voices in prayer and song and laid our hearts on the table. I don't know about anyone else in the room, but I dropped some baggage at Jesus' feet last night and it was incredibly freeing. We took communion together and welcomed God's presence into the room. It was truly just an awesome time of sharing and community with some awesome people.


When you start giving things up to God that don't really belong on your heart, all of a sudden you find yourself feeling incredibly lighthearted and carefree in a way that's indescribable. And when you get there, well then it's time to enjoy one of the greatest gifts God ever gave us...and laugh your head off. So laugh we did.

People have a lot of ideas about the Baptist folk, but I can attest to the fact that if you walk into a Baptist Association office, there's bound to be some fun waiting there for you, and if you're lucky enough, a rake, a scooter and a pogo stick.

AHAHAHAHA...I'm going to get killed for this, but it's so worth it. Kate, friend...you have to get on the pogo stick BEFORE you start jumping.

Charlotte and Emily, rockin' the pogo sticks...

I can't help but think heaven is a whole lot like last night. A community of people who love each other coming together to give their hearts over completely to God and discovering what it truly means to be freed by His grace and mercy. And then living together in joy, laughter and worship when the weight of the world has literally disappeared.

I have a pretty good feeling Jesus will bust out a pogo stick too.

And won't that be funny.

1 comment:

emily said...

Oh my gosh. I laughed all over again...really hard! That was hilarious. Who knew that a night at the Austin Baptist Association could be so hilarious! I most definitely think Jesus would rock the pogo stick...and the scooter...and the rake.