Thursday, November 20, 2008

Monday's Fabulous Moment (or...entire evening...) Part Two

Okay, so since we're all waiting for the other person to post about it, I'm just going to do the thing.

Monday evening started with a fabulous trip to Mellow Mushroom with Char in which we discovered they have stickers that have a nun in a tie-dyed habit and say, "Get Into a New Habit." I of course freaked out and went into must-get-sticker mode. Naturally, they didn't have anymore. Dang it.

After dinner we were feeling, as we were later described, "feisty," and decided to journey over to Miss Emily's to cause some trouble, i.e. streamer Em's car. Trouble is never far if you have an ornery spirit and some crepe paper. We knew Em was home and inside her apartment with her roommate and had company over for dinner. This made our adventure a tiny bit risky, but totally worth it. She had parked on the street just outside of her sliding glass door. Luckily, there's a stone wall bordering her patio which made it possible for us to see the very top of her door and made it quite impossible for her to see us when we were on street level. Now, we won't talk about whether or not she can see you if you jump up on a stump and look over the wall right into the kitchen (Charlotte). But luckily, that didn't happen. ;-)

We parked around the corner and walked down the street which is lined with parked cars. I looked at Charlotte and said, "So...if somebody comes, what's our plan?" She said something along the lines of "Book it." Fair enough.

We didn't have many rolls of streamers but were going to make do with what we had. So we're wrapping this thing, moving along pretty well, (not counting the time one of the rolls got stuck under the car and I ventured under on my stomach to get it.) But we're moving along, rocking out to the streamering, trying desperately not to make too much noise when we heard voices coming towards us and around the corner of the apartment building. My immediate thought was that Em's guests were leaving from dinner. Char and I looked at each other, dropped the streamers and took off running.

Now...here's where things get a bit fuzzy for me and it would be best if someone else told the story. But seeing as how Charlotte literally can't tell it without falling on the floor in tears, I'll do my best. All I know is that I'm running up the sidewalk thinking surely whoever is coming around the corner is going to see me running. I think Char may have even said, "Duck!" So I've run past probably 10 or 12 cars and completely randomly jump down in between two that are parked on the street. The very instant that my feet hit the ground and I bend over...

pause: you know what happens when you take your little car remote and push "unlock?" you know how your headlights come on and your car goes "BEEP BEEP" or "BOOP BOOP" depending on what type of car you have? okay yeah...

So the second my feet hit the ground and I duck between these two cars with my eyeballs at headlight level the one to my left went "BEEP BEEP!" and the headlights shine right into my pupils. Now, keep in mind when involved in this kind of activity your heart is already beating faster than normal just from the excitement, then when you have to take off running because you're about to get caught, it just goes crazy. At this point my heart basically sunk into my butt and I was quite certain I had peed myself in the middle of the street but being that I was already feeling like a cat on a hot tin roof I apparently bounced right back out from between the cars and took off running again down the street and around the corner. Charlotte caught up with me and was laughing like, hysterical, goofy, uncontrollable laughter.

Once she managed to compose herself and we were certain those folk, whoever they were, were gone, we headed back down the street to finish up. We quickly finished with what we had and decided to take one last big risk. Take a picture and hope like heck that Emily doesn't see the flash from inside. So Charlotte is posing in front of the car and just as I'm about to hit the button I see two of Em's little black curls over the stone wall and her sliding glass door starts to slide open. Again, everything here is a bit fuzzy but apparently still feeling quite jumpy, I just took off in a sprint down the street. I was pretty much holding my breath the entire time I was running because I knew if I laughed and Emily was outside we'd definitely be busted. Char and I got back to the car but were not content to leave without a picture. So, after four trips around the block and a really good strategy about which direction our car needed to be headed to make the fastest getaway, we got this picture...
Not great, but at that point we were like, "Whatevs." So Char and I drive off laughing non-stop and about an hour later both receive voicemails from Emily that say something along the lines of "You stinkers. You punks. I know it was you. I know it was you. I know it was you." Awesome. We really had no intention of never getting found out and it was way more fun that we did since we got to go back over and share what we went through to get 4 rolls of crepe paper unrolled around her car. Like I was talking about before, Char literally fell off the couch with tears streaming down her eyes because she was laughing so hard so I went ahead and shared with Emily, her roommate and her roommate's parents about what had gone on just outside their door. It's was pretty much one of the best Mondays since I've moved to Austin. Well, pretty much one of the best Mondays of my life.
Alright Charlotte and Emily, I've told my version...now it's your turn.

3 comments:

emily said...

Ok, seriously you have NO idea how hard it was to keep my composure while sitting at my desk at work. Oh man...I about lost ALL of my business...and you know what I mean from our texts today. ;) Sorry for slacking on my end of the blog. This has definitely given me a push to download my pictures and blog about it. Maybe tonight. Oh wow. That was truly an amazing Monday!

Leona said...

I couldn't stop laughing while reading this. I loved it!!

CharCof said...

It was really funny watching this happen...like really really funny. I love YOU Jennifer Corzine!!!