Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Someone else's fabulous moment...

So in light of the fact that I can always count on Sarah Kelley to cheer up my heart, I got one of the most amazing emails from her that I've ever received telling me an amazing story regarding one of her dementia patients. This is the beginning of the email...

Today this dementia resident comes wheeling into my office. Her name is Ruth but she thinks her name is Shirley. She's blind. She used to be one of those ladies that worked at a make up counter in a department store. She still insists on wearing bright red lipstick every day even though she can't see anymore, so it's usually spilling over onto her cheeks or her chin. Whenever you compliment her lipstick she says, "Thank you darling, it's 'fire and ice,'" even though none of her lipsticks are actually called fire and ice. It must have been her favorite once upon a time.So anyway... dementia...blind... this was our conversation:

What followed was a tiny bit PG and a tiny bit offensive, although truly one of the funniest things I've ever read in my life. So, if you want to know the rest of the conversation, let me know... I'll email it to you. Thank you Sarah! I love you girl.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

PG and offensive... Me? Who would have thought. I guess you never know what to expect in a nursing home.
Thanks for publishing me. I feel special.

SueDub said...

Excuse me but I shouldn't have to ask for the rest of that story.....you know I want to hear it!

Sarah if you read this, HI! I miss you and I can't wait to see that baby.